HCO Providers and Plans
About Medi-Cal Managed Care Health Plans
- Medi-Cal wants you and your family to be healthy and satisfied with your health care.
- Medi-Cal Managed Care Health Plans have their own doctors, specialists, clinics, pharmacies, and hospitals.
- You can choose the doctor or clinic for all your health care needs. Medi-Cal Managed Care Health Plans offer special care (physicals, routine tests for adults, and shots for children and babies) that can help you before you get sick.
- You can go to your primary care doctor first, unless it is an emergency or a family planning visit.
- The health plan has a Member Services Department or an after hours number that you can call.
- Eligibility for CalWORKS, Medi-Cal, and Food Stamps
If you change your health plan or keep the one you have, it does not change your eligibility for other programs.
- Benefits Identification Card or BIC
The plastic card sent to everyone who is eligible for Medi-Cal. All Medi-Cal providers use the BIC to check eligibility. Also called "Medi-Cal Card".
- Direct Access to Women's Health Services
A woman can go directly to any network provider for women's health care without a referral from another doctor.
- Medical Second Opinions
You can request that another doctor or specialist see you before you make decisions about your doctor's plan for your care or surgery.
- You do not have to ask managed care doctors if they take Medi-Cal patients.
About Medi-Cal Managed Care Dental Plans
No cost to you - No co-payment
- Medi-Cal wants you and your family to be healthy and satisfied with your dental care.
- Medi-Cal Managed Care Dental Plans have their own dentists and specialists.
- You can choose the dentist for your dental care needs.
- Your dental plan will refer you to a specialist if he/she determines that you need one.
- There is no charge for specialty dentists when your dentist refers you.
Call your dentist or your dental plan's 24-hour toll-free phone number. The dental plan or dentist will see that you get immediate care, or schedule an appointment if it is not an emergency.
- Dental Second Opinions
You can request that another dentist or specialist see you before you make decisions about your dentist's plan for your dental care or surgery.
- You do not have to ask managed care dentists if they take Medi-Cal patients.