About Medi-Cal Managed Care Health Plans
- Medi-Cal wants you and your family to be healthy and satisfied with your health care.
- Medi-Cal Managed Care Health Plans have their own doctors, specialists, clinics, pharmacies, and hospitals.
You can choose the doctor or clinic for all your health care needs. Medi-Cal Managed Care Health Plans offer special care (physicals, routine tests for adults, and shots for children and babies) that can help you
you get sick.
You can go to your primary care doctor
unless it is an emergency or a family planning visit.
- The health plan has a Member Services Department or an after hours number that you can call.
Eligibility for CalWORKS, Medi-Cal, and Food Stamps
If you change your health plan or keep the one you have, it does not change your eligibility for other programs.
Benefits Identification Card or BIC
The plastic card sent to everyone who is eligible for Medi-Cal. All Medi-Cal providers use the BIC to check eligibility. Also called "Medi-Cal Card".
Direct Access to Women's Health Services
A woman can go directly to any network provider for women's health care without a referral from another doctor.
Medical Second Opinions
You can request that another doctor or specialist see you before you make decisions about your doctor's plan for your care or surgery.
- You do not have to ask managed care doctors if they take Medi-Cal patients.
About Medi-Cal Managed Care Dental Plans
No cost to you - No co-payment
- Medi-Cal wants you and your family to be healthy and satisfied with your dental care.
- Medi-Cal Managed Care Dental Plans have their own dentists and specialists.
- You can choose the dentist for your dental care needs.
- Your dental plan will refer you to a specialist if he/she determines that you need one.
- There is no charge for specialty dentists when your dentist refers you.
Call your dentist or your dental plan's 24-hour toll-free phone number. The dental plan or dentist will see that you get immediate care, or schedule an appointment if it is not an emergency.
Dental Second Opinions
You can request that another dentist or specialist see you before you make decisions about your dentist's plan for your dental care or surgery.
- You do not have to ask managed care dentists if they take Medi-Cal patients.