After you join a dental plan, you will get most of your Medi-Cal benefits through that dental plan. All plans offer the same basic benefits. To learn more about dental plan benefits, read the information below.
Medi-Cal managed care dental plan: no cost to you and no co-pays
- Medi-Cal wants you and your family to be healthy and satisfied with your dental care.
- Medi-Cal managed care dental plans have their own dentists and specialists.
- You can choose the dentist for your dental care needs.
- Your dental plan will refer you to a specialist if your dentist determines that you need one.
- There is no charge for specialty dentists when your dentist refers you.
- Call your dentist or your dental plan's 24-hour toll-free phone number. The dental plan or dentist will see that you get immediate care, or will make an appointment if it is not an emergency.
Dental second opinions
- You can request that another dentist or specialist see you before you make decisions about your dentist's plan for your dental care or surgery.
- You do not have to ask managed care dentists if they take Medi-Cal patients.
More details about dental plan benefits
After you choose a dental plan, your plan will send you a member handbook with more details about your benefits and services. To view the member handbook for each dental plan, go to the Health plan materials page.
To compare the benefits of each dental plan, go to the Compare medical plans and dental plans page.